Joint BS/MS Degree Program
PDF Print Version
Benefits of the Program
- Students can earn their master's degree in one year after receiving their bachelor's degree.
- Students take graduate courses in their senior year for both the bachelor's and master's degrees.
- Students can be qualified for a dean's assistantship for the duration of their master's degree program.
Which Engineering and Computer Science Departments Participate?
All three engineering departments, Civil, Environmental and Geomatics Engineering; Computer and Electrical Engineering and Computer Science; and Ocean and Mechanical Engineering participate in the Joint B.S./M.S. degree program.
What are the Steps and Requirements for Applying to the Program?
- A cumulative GPA of 3.25 or better at the end of the junior year with 90 credits or more of coursework completed.
- The GRE is not required for this special program.
- Apply for graduate admission at the Graduate College or online at
- Student's may apply for a dean's assistantship.
- Students may opt for the thesis or non-thesis option in their M.S. degree.
- If the thesis option is selected students will need a letter of recommendation from their potential thesis advisor.
- Admission to the program must be completed at least one semester prior to the start of the M.S. degree program.
- Students can take graduate courses in their senior year, with the approval of their academic advisor, that will apply to both the B.S. and the M.S. degree. A maximum of nine credits can be applied to both the B.S. and the M.S. degree.
- Students must retain their enrollment in order to remain in the program.
- No 4000 level courses allowed for a master's degree.
- Fill out the Joint BS/MS Program Audit Form (pdf) and follow the directions at the bottom.
How Long Does the Program Take to Complete
Since the program allows for a maximum of nine credits of course work to count towards both degrees, students need to complete at least 21 credits (thesis option), or 24 credits (non-thesis option). Note that the types of courses that can be taken vary by degree program. It is expected that students will finish the program within one year if they are enrolled as a full-time student. Students who successfully complete their M.S. degree within one year after their B.S. degree, will also be presented with a certificate of recognition for their achievement.