- Assistant Professor
- Department of Computer and Electrical Engineering and Computer Science
- 777 Glades Road, EE 436
- Boca Raton, FL 33431-0991
- p: 561.297.0035
- Ph.D., University of Rhode Island
- Computational Intelligence and Machine Learning
- Reinforcement Learning and Deep Reinforcement Learning
- Smart Home and Energy Management Systems
- Robot Navigation, Assistance and Interaction with Human
Current Sponsored Research
- PI: NSF - Collaborative Research: CyberTraining: Multi-disciplinary Training of Learning, Optimization and Communications for Next Generation Power Engineers
- PI: NSF - A Reflective Learning and Association Control Framework based on Adaptive Dynamic Programming: Architecture and Applications in Robotics
- CoPI: DOD (NAVSEA NEEC) - Advancing Self-Localization and Intelligent Mapping (SLIM) for Swarm of Autonomous Unmanned
- Underwater Vehicles using Machine Learning
- CoPI: NSF - Acquisition of a Microgrid Cyber-Physical Testbed for Advanced Energy Management Systems
Awards and Recognition
- IEEE Computational Intelligence Society Outstanding Ph.D. Dissertation Award, 2020
- International Neural Networks Society Aharon Katzir Young Investigator Award, 2019
Refereed Journal Articles
- A. Das, and Z. Ni, "A Novel Fitted Rolling Horizon Control Approach for Real-Time Policy Making in Microgrid," IEEE Transactions on Smart Grid (TSG). In press. DOI: 10.1109/TSG.2020.2966931.
- S. Paul, Z. Ni and C. Mu, "A Learning Based Solution for an Adversarial Repeated Game in Cyber-Physical Power Systems," IEEE Transactions on Neural Networks and Learning Systems (TNNLS). In press. DOI: 10.1109/TNNLS.2019.2955857.
- P. Paudyal, P. Munankarmi, Z. Ni and T. Hansen, "A Hierarchical Control Framework with a Novel Bidding Scheme for Residential Community Energy Optimization," IEEE Transactions on Smart Grid (TSG). Vol. 11, Issue 1, pages 710 - 719, January 2020.
- C. Mu, K. Wang, Z. Ni and C. Sun, "Cooperative Differential Game-Based Optimal Control and Its Application to Power Systems," IEEE Transactions on Industrial Informatics (TII). In press. DOI: 10.1109/TII.2019.2955966.
- C. Jiang, Z. Ni, Y. Guo and H. He, "Pedestrian Flow Optimization to Reduce the Risk of Crowd Disasters through Human-Robot Interaction," IEEE Trans. on Emerging Topics in Computational Intelligence (TETCI), In press. DOI: 10.1109/TETCI.2019.2930249.
- Z. Ni and S. Paul, "A Multi-Stage Game in Smart Grid Security: A Reinforcement Learning Solution," IEEE Trans. on Neural Networks and Learning Systems (TNNLS). Volume: 30 , Issue: 9, pp.2684 - 2695, Sept. 2019. (featured on Research Frontier of IEEE CIS Newsletter, Issue 82, November 2019) [Link]
- Z. Ni, N. Malla and X. Zhong, "Prioritizing Useful Experience Replay for Heuristic Dynamic Programming-Based Learning Systems," IEEE Transactions on Cybernetics (TCYB), Vol. 49, Issue 11, pp. 3911 - 3922, Nov. 2019.
- Z. Ni and A. Das, "A New Incentive-based Optimization Scheme for Residential Community with Financial Trade-offs," IEEE Access. Vol. 6, issue 1, pp. 57802 - 57813, December 2018.
- Z. Wan, C. Jiang, M. Fahad, Z. Ni, Y. Guo and H. He, "Robot-Assisted Pedestrian Regulation Based on Deep Reinforcement Learning," IEEE Transactions on Cybernetics (TCYB). In press. DOI: 10.1109/TCYB.2018.2878977.
- J. Chao, Z. Ni, Y. Guo and H. He, "Learning Human-Robot Interaction for Robot-Assisted Pedestrian Flow Optimization," IEEE Transactions on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics (SMC): Systems, Volume: 49, Issue: 4, pp. 797 - 813, April 2019.
- Associate Editor, IEEE Transactions on Neural Network and Learning Systems, 2019 -
- Associate Editor, IEEE Computational Intelligence Magazine, 2018 -
- Guest Editor, IET Cyber-Physical Systems: Theory & Applications. Special Issue on: Cyber Physical Power Systems: Advanced Intelligent Technologies and Applications, 2018.