- More than 30 years of teaching experience (from high-school to PhD, including outreach and lifelong learning courses), in different countries (USA, Brazil, Spain, Austria, India) and languages (English, Portuguese, Spanish).
- Established record of research and scholarly publications in the field of image processing and related areas.
- Established record of service in academic settings and professional organizations.
- PhD in Computer Engineering, Florida Atlantic University, Boca Raton, FL (USA), Aug. 2001. Dissertation: “Content-Based Image Retrieval Using Relevance Feedback”. Advisor: Prof. Borko Furht.
- Master’s in Electronic Engineering, Philips International Institute / Eindhoven University of Technology, Eindhoven (the Netherlands), May 1989.
- BS in Electrical Engineering, Centro Federal de Educação Tecnológica do Paraná (CEFET-PR) (now Universidade Tecnológica Federal do Paraná - UTFPR) Curitiba-PR (Brazil), Feb. 1987.
Current and Past Positions
- Professor, College of Engineering & Computer Science, FAU (2014 – Present)
- Professor (by courtesy), College of Business, FAU (2015 – Present)
- Associate Director, NSF Industry/University Cooperative Research Center (I/U CRC) for Advanced Knowledge Enablement (CAKE), FAU (2016 – Present)
- Associate Chair, CEECS Department, FAU (2009 – 2014)
- Associate Professor, CEECS Department, FAU (2007 – 2014)
- Assistant Professor, Department of Computer Science and Engineering, FAU (2001 – 2007)
- Instructor, Department of Computer Science and Engineering, FAU (1999 – 2001)
- Associate Professor, Dept. of Electrical Engineering, CEFET-PR, Curitiba (Brazil) (1993 – 1997)
- Assistant Professor, Dept. of Electrical Engineering, CEFET-PR, Curitiba (Brazil) (1989 – 1993)
- Lecturer and Chair, Dept. of Computer Science, FESP, Curitiba (Brazil) (1992 – 1997)
- Assistant Professor, Dept. of Computer Science and Engineering, PUC-PR, Curitiba (Brazil) (1991 – 1994)
- Research Assistant, Computer Vision & Graphics Group, Philips Research Laboratories, Eindhoven (Netherlands) (1988 – 1989)
- High-school Teacher, Department of Electronics, CEFET-PR, Curitiba (Brazil) (1983 – 1989)
Professional Recognition, Honors, and Awards (selected)
- ACM Distinguished Speaker (2014).
- Outstanding Mid-Career Teaching Award, American Society for Engineering Education - Southeastern Section (ASEE-SE) (2011).
- Excellence and Innovation in Undergraduate Teaching Award, Florida Atlantic University (2011).
- Member of the Eindhoven University of Technology Alumni Association (2010 - present).
- Member of Tau Beta Pi, inducted as Eminent Engineer (2009 - present).
- Senior Member of the IEEE (Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers) (2009 - present).
- Senior Member of the ACM (Association for Computing Machinery) (2009 - present).
- Member of Sigma Xi, the honor society of research scientists and engineers. (2009 - present).
- Highly Commended Award at the Literati Network Awards for Excellence 2008, for the paper “Design of a multimedia traffic classifier for Snort”, published in the Information Management & Computer Security journal (2008).
- Hot Course Award (for the Cutting-edge Web Technologies course), Department of Computer Science and Engineering, Florida Atlantic University (2008).
- College of Engineering and Computer Science Dean’s Faculty Award (2004-05).
- Excellence in Undergraduate Teaching Award, Florida Atlantic University (2004).
- Member ofUpsilon Pi Epsilon (2004 - present).
- Excellence in Teaching and Superb Student Evaluation Award – Department of Computer Science and Engineering, Florida Atlantic University (2002).
- Honorable Mention (Top 10 worldwide) in the IEEE CSIDC 2002 competition, as the mentor of the FAU “CodeBlue” Team, Washington, D.C., June 2002.
- Graduate Scholarship, FAU Chapter of Phi Kappa Phi (1999).
- Dr. Daniel B. Newell and Aurel B. Newell Doctoral Fellowship, Florida Atlantic University (1999-2000).
- Member of the Honor Society of Phi Kappa Phi (1999 - present).
- Human and Computer Vision
- Medical Image Processing and Analysis
- Artificial Intelligence
- Machine Learning
- Deep Learning
- Human Computation
- Healthcare Technologies
- Mobile and Web-based App Development
Areas of Expertise
- Image Processing
- Human and Computer Vision
- Visual Information Retrieval
- Machine Learning
- Web-based and mobile applications
International Collaborations and Appointments
- Standing appointment as Visiting Professor at Alpen-Adria Universität Klagenfurt, Klagenfurt, Austria (since 2008)
- Visiting Professor at ENSEEIHT Engineering School, University of Toulouse, France (since 2010)
- Collaborative projects and publications with Universitat Politècnica de Catalunya (UPC), Barcelona, Spain (since 2012) and Universidade Federal de Goiás (UFG), Goiania, Brazil (since 2010)
- Standing appointment as Visiting Professor at UTFPR, Curitiba-PR, Brazil (since 2003)
Selected Recent Talks, Tutorials, Keynote Speeches and Short Courses
- Plenary talk: "Inspiring Actions for Successful Engineering Education", Fourth IEEE International Conference on MOOCs, Innovation and Technology in Education (MITE 2016), Madurai, India, December 2016.
- Invited talk: "Machine Learning and Applications", Indian Institute of Information Technology and Management, Kerala (IIITM-K), Trivandrum, India, December 2016.
- Lecture: “Face recognition by humans and computers”, Lifelong Learning Society (LLS), Florida Atlantic University, November 2016.
- Invited talk: “Intelligence Processing of Visual Information: Research Overview”, University of North Carolina, Charlotte-NC, August 2016.
- Overview talk: “Using Games to Solve Challenging Multimedia Problems”, ACM Multimedia Systems 2016 Conference – Klagenfurt am Wörthersee, Austria, May 2016.
- Lecture: “Can you believe your eyes? What visual illusions can teach us about our brains”, Lifelong Learning Society (LLS), Florida Atlantic University, March 2016.
- Talk: “Can you trust what you see? The magic of visual perception”, Lifelong Learning Society (LLS), Florida Atlantic University, December 2015.
- Keynote speech: “Visual Information Retrieval: Advances, Challenges and Opportunities”, 4th International Conference on Advances in Computing, Communications and Informatics (ICACCI) – Kochi, India, Aug 2015.
- Invited talk: “Image Processing and Computer Vision in iOS”, iOS Day, Universidade Federal do Triângulo Mineiro (UFTM), Uberaba, Brazil, December 2013.
- Colloquium: “Using games to improve computer vision solutions”, Alpen-Adria Universität Klagenfurt, Klagenfurt, Austria, May 2013.
- Invited talk: “Image retrieval: challenges and opportunities”, UTFPR, Curitiba-PR, Brazil, June 2012.
- Keynote speech: “Advances and Challenges in Visual Information Search and Retrieval”, 8th Brazilian Computer Vision Workshop (WVC 2012) – Goiania, Brazil, May 2012.
- Invited talk: “Mobile Visual Search”, Universitat Politècnica de Catalunya (UPC), Barcelona, Spain, March 2012 – viewed more than 4,400 times on slideshare.net (as of January 20, 2017).
- Dinner speech: “Adventures in Visual Perception”, MMM 2012, Klagenfurt, Austria, January 2012.
- Mini-course: “Image Processing and Computer Vision in iPhone and iPad”, WVC 2011, Curitiba-PR, Brazil, May 2011 – viewed more than 21,400 times on slideshare.net (as of January 20, 2017).
- Tutorial: “Advances in Image Search and Retrieval”, IASTED International Conference on Internet and Multimedia Systems and Applications (IMSA) 2011, Washington, DC, May 2011.
- Invited talk: “Image search and retrieval: where are we now?”, Delft University of Technology, Delft, the Netherlands, October 2010.
Selected Public Demos
Guess That Face: http://tinyurl.com/guessthatface
- A game with a purpose (GWAP) in which players must guess the name of a celebrity whose face appears blurred. The game combines a successful casual game paradigm with meaningful applications in both human- and computer-vision science.
[http://tinyurl.com/clickncut] (developed jointly with ENSEEIHT-Université de Toulouse, France and Universitat Politècnica de Catalunya (UPC), Barcelona)
- An interactive segmentation tool that combines clicks generated by users to obtain accurate object segmentation results.
Supervised 5 Ph.D. dissertations and 14 Master's theses to completion.
Currently supervising 4 Ph.D. dissertations and 2 Master's theses.
Recently Developed Courses
- iOS Programming
- Digital Image Processing
- Foundations of Vision
- Cutting-Edge Web Technologies
- Mobile Apps for Business
- Visual Information Retrieval
- Machine Learning for Computer Vision
- Co-chair for the Doctoral Symposium, ACM International Conference on Multimedia 2014 (Orlando, FL, November 2014).
- Editorial Board member of the journal Multimedia Tools and Applications, Springer.
- Reviewer for several science and technology funding agencies.
- Reviewer for several journals, including: IEEE Transactions on Image Processing , Pattern Recognition, IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems for Video Technology , IEEE Transactions on Multimedia , IEEE Transactions on Systems, Man and Cybernetics, EURASIP Journal on Image and Video Processing , and Multimedia Tools and Applications.
- Program Committee member / reviewer for numerous international conferences.
- Center for eLearning (CeL) Advisory Board Committee member.
- Serving on several university, college, and department committees.
Selected Publications (out of a total of more than 130)
- B. Furht and O. Marques (editors), "Encyclopedia of Multimedia", 3rd edition, Springer, 2017 (to appear).
- J. Gibson and O. Marques, “Optical Flow and Trajectory Estimation Methods”, Springer, 2016.
- O. Marques, “Innovative Technologies in Everyday Life”, Springer, 2016.
- M. Lux and O. Marques, “Visual Information Retrieval Using Java and LIRE”, Morgan & Claypool, 2013.
- O. Marques, “Practical Image and Video Processing Using MATLAB®”, Wiley-IEEE Press, New York, NY, 2011.
- B. Furht and O. Marques (editors), "Handbook of Video Databases", CRC Press, Boca Raton, FL, 2004.
- O. Marques and B. Furht, “Content-Based Image and Video Retrieval”, Kluwer Academic Publishers, Norwell, MA, 2002.
- O. Marques and H. Vieira Neto, "Processamento Digital de Imagens" ("Digital Image Processing") (in Portuguese), Editora Brasport, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, 1999.
- M. Taschwer and O. Marques, “Automatic Separation of Compound Figures in Scientific Articles”. Multimedia Tools and Applications (2016).
- B. Stojanović, O. Marques and A. Nešković, “Latent overlapped fingerprint separation: a review”. Multimedia Tools and Applications (2016).
- B. Stojanović, A. Nešković and O. Marques, “A novel neural network based approach to latent overlapped fingerprints separation”. Multimedia Tools and Applications, June 2016.
- J. Gibson and O. Marques, “Sparsity in Optical Flow and Trajectories”, Signal, Image and Video Processing, March 2016
- A. Carlier, A. Salvador, X. Giro-i-Nieto, V. Charvillat, and O. Marques, “Assessment of Crowdsourcing and Gamification Loss in User-Assisted Object Segmentation”. Multimedia Tools and Applications, September 2015.
- A. Carlier, O. Marques, and V. Charvillat. “Ask'nSeek: A New Game for Object Detection and Labeling”, Workshop on Web-Scale Vision and Social Media, co-located with ECCV 2012.
- S. Chatzichristofis, C. Iakovidou, Y. Boutalis, and O. Marques, “Co.Vi.Wo.: Color Visual Words Based on Nonpredefined Size Codebooks”, IEEE Transactions on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics. Part B, Cybernetics, July 2012.
- O. Marques, E. Barenholtz, and V. Charvillat, “Context modeling in computer vision: techniques, implications, and applications”, Multimedia Tools and Applications, January 2011.
- K. Schöffmann, F. Hopfgartner, O. Marques, L. Böszörmenyi, and J.M. Jose, "A Review on Video Browsing Interfaces and Applications", SPIE Reviews 1, 018004 (2010), DOI: 10.1117/6.0000005.
- J. Gibson and O. Marques, “Stereo Depth with a Unified Architecture GPU”, Workshop on "Computer Vision on GPUs", co-located with IEEE Computer Society Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition (CVPR) 2008, June 24-26, 2008, Anchorage, Alaska.
- D. Culibrk, O. Marques, D. Socek, H. Kalva, and B. Furht, "Neural Network Approach to Background Modeling for Video Object Segmentation", IEEE Transactions on Neural Networks,Vol. 18, No. 6, pp. 1614-1627, November 2007.
Membership in Scientific and Professional Societies
- Senior Member, Association for Computing Machinery (ACM)
- Senior Member, Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE)
- Member, American Society for Engineering Education (ASEE)